Sunday, August 30, 2009

Remembering the past

I was in my school, when I tasted my first Bhel puri. Down south we never had such dishes made. It is the speciality of Mumbai, a dish that very much belongs to Mumbai. It felt nice very nice.

I think it was my dad who first spotted this shop near Andheri Station. Once in a while we used to go there to have bhel puri. It tasted divine. I remember even during college days I used to stop by this shop to have it. The guy who prepared it was so fast in doing the procedure of mixing things that he could do more than 3 bhel puris in less than a minute. It was totally a spectacle to watch him perform this task with such speed and accuracy.

The Guy!!

After my college days; and through first job, I somehow lost touch to this place. I just could not find time to go and have this majestic piece of snack made with astounding timing and taste. Not that I did not have Bhel after that. I did have, but nothing like this place.



Few days back, when I was chatting with my friend, this place popped up. Without any hesitation, I told him that we should go to this place. It was almost 5 years that I had not been to this place. My dad used to bring home bhel often from this place. But I had never been to this place for a long time.

I made time one evening and went to this place which is no where in the way to my home or office. We finally reached the place and saw the same buzz of people queuing to buy it. The same guy was standing there with his two new subordinates at work, preparing bhel puri at the rate of knots. The Bhel tasted the same after so many years. It sure gave me a déjà-vu feeling rolling back all those years.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the bhel-past.

It's funny because when I go to bombay and try out pav bhaji, it takes me back to those days where we used to run around looking for junk stalls in the rain =))

Andheri--> my place!

Lan said...

@Anamika: I see, it sure is deja-vu :) Oh I see your place huh!! :)

Pooja Mahimkar said...

aww.... i love bhelpuri and this post makes me want to eat it NOW
so ill end in a quick way.. it gave me a deja vu as well... so here i go now to grab my bhel puri :P

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean....Bhel on a rainy day is pure heaven :)

We had this jhall mudi wala on the street leading to our college....He made suchj awesome mudi..Your post has made me both nostalgic and hungry! :|

nitin said...

when are going to give bhel puri treat at your favourite joint? :)

Lan said...

@Pooja: hahaa bhelpuri is very tempting!! :P

@Choco: :) :) again bhelpuri is very tempting!!

@nitin: Soon my friend you will get one!!

Anonymous said...

Yummm! I have a favourite bhel place in South Extension... yummy :D

Anonymous said...

I also absolutely love the place!

Powered By Blogger