Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Good old music

Thinking about the 60s and 70s Bollywood music and Kollywood(this is Tamil movies), many things come to mind. They were made so special to our ears and were really soothing as compared to today's fast paced electronic music. Some of the songs today are mixed at the last moment. Hence when the song is actually sung, there are not a lot of things going on. The voice is taken from the singer and then added into a track during mixing stages, thanks to today's mixing gurus.What we tend to oversee is during the 60s and 70s our parents would have been in their teen ages. Radio was the only form of entertainment then. TVs became popular during the 80s. My grandpa I remember bought a Solider TV during the 80s for Rs.5000/- and then he sold it in the late 90s for Rs.5000/- again. Funny but true as the value of Rs. 5000 in the 80s was really far too much compared to the late 90s. Before the TVs were popular the radios ruled the roost. The songs that played of Kollywood flicks, Bollywod flicks, news, cricket commentary were unforgettable for the people from this era. My dad was brought up in those days of his teens, listening to the classy stations of radio.(there was only one or two channels on the FM unlike todays frequency crowding)

No wonder, he seems to grasp all the announcement made due to his acute listening skill developed through radio in his younger days. My mom, was again mad about these songs during her teenage. She had by-hearted most of the songs as all the songs tend to make it big, as the number of movies releasing per year would be less compared to today's digital world, were a movie releases almost every weekend. My late Grandpa would mock my mom saying, she cannot remember a chapter from her text, but she can by heart all the songs of these flicks.

Truly, these songs must have captivated its audience so much that these songs remain in my parents heart even today. Yesterday, I tuned on my World Space radio to receive a station that I have not heard a lot before. KL Radio, was the name. It was broadcasting old Tamil songs, which my mom and dad knew so well. As the songs went on one by one, my mom and dad sat singing with it. They were marveling those delicate nuances that only they would know.

Listening to each and every stanza and closing their eyes as if the world had stood still all these years. I was just sitting beside them reading today 'Times of India'. My mom even remembered the way a particular actress danced in a song. She tried to repeat making those moves. Just listening to and observing what they were upto, made me feel contempt. After all who does not enjoy seeing their parents happy after all those years of pain and turmoil in bringing us up. Every now and then my dad would say something, in praise of the old music.

I should thank KL radio for broadcasting such gems. Looking at my parents enjoy their good old music, made me realize that some day even I would be listening to today's music. Would I be enjoying like how they are enjoying it? All these songs came before this digital supernova. Twenty to thirty years from today, god knows where and what I will be doing. I don't think there are lot of quality music around now a days that I can reflect upon in those days. During my teenage, AR Rahman came into this music world and completely changed the phase of music which is made now-a-days. I might listen to some of his songs. Beyond his songs, I don't find many songs that are as griping and captivating to me today, forget them being 30 year hence.

(Snaps taken from google search)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very true

vivek

Anonymous said...

Very true... In the form of music these days, the lyrics or the words go unheard and it is the sound or beat that dominates... old age music is golden.... and real as well...

nitin said...

another good blog..

i still remember good old Doordarshan days...

Lan said...

thanks guys for stopping by!!
i really feel, today's music should like get better and be like good old days....so that we can remember even them....i just pity our future generation!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel nostalgic remembering dordarshan.. Thank you Lan!! You are absolutely right about the music these days...

Powered By Blogger